Saturday, June 13, 2009

50 years isn't so long

This afternoon Gordon & I were talking (I don't remember what, exactly) and something came up about 50 years ago. I think we must have been talking about cars or car companies, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he said he'd been driving for 50 years! It's only been 49 for me; my parents wouldn't let me get a learner's permit until I was 17! Then I got to thinking about what other things were like 50 years ago -- I was 16. Somehow it doesn't seem all that long ago, at least sometimes it doesn't.

I'm sure everyone is tired of those "do you remember when" things, but I just feel the need to put it down here anyway.

How Much things cost in 1959
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 1.01%
Average Cost of new house $12,400.00
Average Yearly Wages $5,010.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents
Average Cost of a new car $2,200.00
Movie Ticket $1.00
Loaf of Bread 20¢
1 lb coffee 77 ¢
Postage stamp .04¢
Kodak Movie camera $67.50
Ladies Stockings $1.00

1959 was 50 years ago this year
1959 the unemployment problems eased to 5.5%.
Television programs included "Rawhide", "Bonanza" and "The Twilight Zone", movies included "Some Like it Hot", "Ben Hur" and "North by Northwest".
Alaska was admitted to the union and became the 49th state and Hawaii was admitted to the the Union and became the 50th State.
The Boeing 707 Jet Airliner came into service and little girls loved the Barbie Dolls made by Mattel.
Fidel Castro came to power in Cuba.


Some other things:
St Lawrence Seaway a joint US / Canadian venture is completed linking the great lakes to the Atlantic Ocean
NASA introduces America's first astronauts to the world including John H. Glenn Jr, and Alan Shepard Jr.
First Pictures Of Earth From Space Taken By Explorer 6
US Launches first Weather Station in Space

I'm not wishing we were back in 1959, or that I was 50 years younger. Just remembering events that I hadn't realized were that long ago.

I have yet to write anything about the NY Conference UCC's Annual Conference in beautiful Silver Bay. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment