Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First for a While





life has been pretty busy here. That hasn't left too much time for "musing" at least writing down what I'm musing about.

The July visit was wonderful, if too short, of course. We rode the train and played in the elementary school playground and had an all-around great visit. We enjoyed the grandchildren immeasurably. We enjoyed the time with our daughters as well. We wish we could see all of them more often.


Then pretty soon it was time to get Gordon ready for the trip to Honduras. We kept watching the news as the elected president of Honduras had been ousted in what's being called a coup at the end of June and we've kept an eye on the situation to be sure it's safe for the mission trip to proceed.

On Sunday, August 2, four NY/HELPers left from Buffalo for Honduras for 2 weeks: Gordon, Eileen Brittain, Nancy Savoy and Hannah Zetterstrand-Robinson (pictured below).



Gordon lost his passport on the first leg of the trip from Buffalo to Atlanta. Fortunately he found it again, but not in time to make the flight to San Pedro Sula with the other 3. After phone calls back & forth from him to me, me to Yovany in Honduras (with the help of Jeff Mason) we got the word out that Gordon would be delayed 24 hours but would arrive on Monday instead of Sunday. Then there were more calls between Gordon & me & me & his sister Marty who lives in Atlanta. She went to the airport and they located each other, so he was able to spend the night at their house before going back for his flight on Monday. Then there were more phone calls. Lito GutiƩrrez (another NY/HELPer & doctor) called the clinic nurse Mirtila to tell her Gordon would be late. Then on Monday evening he called Honduras again and then let me know that everyone had made it to La laguna safely and all was well.

It's funny (or maybe not). I didn't think I was really worried -- either about the group's safety in light of the political difficulties in Honduras right now, or about Gordon getting their safely one day late. But, after Lito's call to assure me that he, as well as the others, were definitely in the village, I felt a great relief. So, I guess I was worried even though I didn't really realize it.

I know I won't hear from them now until they come down from the mountain, around August 13. So I will trust that they will have good clinics and learn and teach a lot and all will go well, even if not exactly as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment