Sunday, July 1, 2018

RETIREMENT AND BEYOND


At the beginning of my last week of work at the Arcade Free Library, after 17½ years, my library director arranged an Open House for me. She also made many baked "goodies" she is so good at producing. I enjoyed talking with many friends and library patrons who'd been there over the years.  I will miss being at the library, especially all the people I've met & talked with over the years.  I will also miss seeing new & interesting books come across the desk that led me to want to check them out for myself!

So, now I need to find new & different things to do.

June 30, my first day of retirement, Gordon & I signed up to attend a rally and march in downtown Buffalo called Families Belong Together! We amassed at the Federal Court House on Niagara square.  People had a variety of signs expressing their belief that children should not be separated from their families at the US border.  After speeches and songs, we all marched a few blocks along Delaware Ave to the I.C.E. building and held a rally there.

It was orderly, if noisy, and calm.  Just before it ended extra police cars began to assemble at the intersection where the I.C.E. building is.  Perhaps they were just hoping to keep things calm?  Perhaps they wanted to let us know that it was time to end and let traffic use the intersection again?  Whatever, there was no trouble and shortly it announced it was time to go back to the Court House.   

            

Tonight, July 1, we will go see the Sardinia Carnival fireworks.  But, we will not go into the park.  Rather we will view them from halfway up Bixby Hill Rd.

2 comments:

  1. Ginger's retirement party was very nice;t th Families Belong Together rally was inspiring: and the Sardinia fireworks were colorful, if 3 miles distant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. It was a good day!

    ReplyDelete